In the world of entrepreneurs there are so many ways that people could use or become an entrepreneur. When I was young, I was always thinking of ideas, from ways to make things work better, to building systems to make the world run better.
Over the years I have always struggled with what to say my profession is. It usually revolved around some business I owned, or a job I held. But as I look back at my life back I realize I have always been an entrepreneur.
So let’s take this week and look at the different ways a person can be an entrepreneur because the ideas that are shared can have both positive and negative effects, and range through many spectrums.
I myself am a entrepreneur in the fact that I create my own work, beginning with years of creating different types of business. Many people would categorize those entrepreneurs one of two ways:
1. They are rich. We all know of great entrepreneurs like Richard Branson, or maybe the creative computer and internet entrepreneurs like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs – men who are millionaires or billionaires.
2. They are broke. Many of us also have an image of entrepreneurs as the broke guy who is unemployed. I am reminded of the scene in the movie, The Social Network, where Justin Timberlake plays Sean Parker, and tells the college girl he is an entrepreneur. She replies, “So you’re unemployed.”
Many people in the world are the second type of entrepreneur. They create a business, or become self-employed to head towards reaching a goal or a dream. But what is the difference between the two in this type of entrepreneur?
The way I see it, the successful entrepreneurs have three things that make them successful; three things those who are struggling need to add:
1. A plan. You need a plan that will keep the company or venture on target towards the dream. The plan also has to have some flexibility to it. When you have a plan that can change when needed, that doesn’t mean you give up the actual dream or goal; it just means sometimes you have to have several ways to get there.
2. A coach. The most successful entrepreneurs have coaches, mentors, advisors. These are the people that will keep them from dropping the important details to keep the plan on target. They hold you accountable, they work to make sure you are always focused on the very thing you want to do.
3. Resources. Yes this is a very important part. You see so many great ideas never get off the ground because they do not have the resources to make the venture go to the high levels.
So what can you do to make sure you become one of the successful ones? Hire a coach to help you write a business plan. Start now lining up resources. When it comes to resources, you need to have back-ups for your back-ups.
Join us each day this week to learn about the different types of entrepreneurs, how they help, what they need to do to improve and how they are changing your world.
I’m Tim Gillette, the Rocker Life Coach. It’s time to live your dream by loving what you do and those you share life with. Become a successful entrepreneur and be a RockStar in your world