Good Tuesday morning to you. Today we are continuing with this week’s theme of The New You. Before we do, let’s look back at what we discussed yesterday about understanding yourself. Were you able to give yourself honest answers to the questions in the post? Are you better able to understand where you are now? Do you understand how you have gotten here?
Today, while I was doing some research for other writings as well as this, I searched online to see what I could find out about people who have been influential in my past. You know, I had a hard time remembering the name of the man who taught me the concept of meditation that I now use to better myself. I have changed as a result of doing it but I could not remember the steps that got me to that point of change.
You can be a different person five years from now, the person you want to be. Life will seem hard at times when you work to make changes. Maybe now you are wishing that you were in a much better place. Well, you have to set goals to make that happen. It’s not an elevator ride; it’s a little harder than that. It’s a series of stair cases that you must climb to get to the goal you want.
If you want to make a positive change in life, it’s time to set some goals to move in that direction. Remember, a goal is a dream with a deadline to it. You start setting goals to make the life you want a better one and to set a timeline for achieving it. How do you do that? There are five points that I want to give you for the goal-setting process and keeping on the path towards those goals.
1. Create SMART goals. Specific – know what you want. Measureable – have a way to know when you have reached them. Achievable – don’t over plan things, set goals so that you will be able to reach them, even though it means stretching yourself. Relevant – make the step by step process work towards the ultimate goal. Time-bound, make it so you have a time limit to make the goals happen. SMART.
2. Make goals for each part of your life. Divide your life into parts and set goals to make the New You work on each part: career, relationships, money, fun, achievements. I make mine up and divide them into three main areas, Business, Personal, and Spiritual. Then I’m able to grow in all areas to have true balanced growth.
3. Make your goals bigger than you. We always miss our goals the first few times we shoot for them. In this case if you shoot for the moon and miss you still live among the stars. So set big goals – still attainable, but goals that you will work for, goals that will take you further than you’ve gone before.
4. Break the goals in steps. They say that inch by inch anything is a cinch. Well, break your goals down into smaller segments like one-year, three-year, and five-year goals.
5. Make an action plan to always keep working on your goals. You are striving for a better you and you know that whether or not you set goals you are going to be a different person in the future. The purpose is to have goals to make you a better person. So take the actions you need to make the new person better.
Most people, when setting goals in life, are looking towards what they want to do. Some will set them to achieve things they must do. Bottom line you must make a balance between them.
So make the goals for who the New You will be. Write down your goals and break them into manageable steps. I’m sure you’ve heard of the studies that say if you write your goals down you are more likely to achieve them. Even if you’re skeptical, why not give it a try? You’ve got nothing to lose.
We are talking about making The New You this week to help you make an improvement in your life through the specific goals you set. This has been our second day of teasers on The New You e-course that we will be offering later this month. Right now, you can pre-purchase the entire course this week for just $25. Once we launch it, the price will be $42. To enroll, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 214.616.8912.
I’m Tim Gillette, the Rocker Life Coach. It’s time for you to live the life you always wanted, by loving what you do and those you share life with. Then let us help you become a RockStar in your world.