Good Friday morning to you all. Today, as we finish out our week of life as a game, it’s the most important things we need to remember about the game of life that we will focus on. We play for free. I know many people are going to come back that my hobbies all cost me money. Yes they do. My honey and I have a very expensive hobby. It’s riding Harley Davidson Motorcycles. But the game we play with our life could be free if we wanted it to be. What is the first question that you want to find out when checking out a new job? How much does it pay? We all want the money part, or should I say we all need the money part.
In life, would it not be great to do what you love to do, like your hobbies, and get paid to do them? Wow! That would be a dream. I remember that I was asked for my statement or quote when I was added to the International Who’s Who of Entrepreneurs. I had them print my quote as “find something you love to do and would do for free, and find a way to capitalize on it.” Others have put it in different ways: “Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.” “A successful person gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between they do what they want.” Yes, I’m sure you’ve heard them all.
But to start out if you have nothing you can make money on, or have no ideas to start your own business whether it be online or offline, you have to first get rid of all the distractions and find what you want to do. I knew years ago that I loved riding motorcycles. I know I love good coffee, and good fresh shots of espresso. I love to do many things, but while I was working at those things, I had to make a living. After all, I was starting over.
If you have read my blog for a while you know the story of me working for Starbucks. Well I found out before too long that it was not something I wanted to do forever. I once considered working for a motorcycle dealer, but realized that would turn out the same. Over time it would become too mundane.
I knew I wanted to start this business, Rocker Life Coach, but had to create a way to make it happen. So at first I started the investment company to keep income rolling in while I was creating my new business. As I said above, if you read much of my stuff you have heard this many times. So today instead of going back over it I want to give you a short plan on how to go from where you are to start playing your game for free.
- In life you are going to have to do some things you don’t want to do to get those things you do want. No matter what, you have to do the hard work to get something started. I get to work with many new entrepreneurs who want to live a dream life, but hate the part of getting out of the comfort zone to get to where the ideal life is.
- Make a plan that will carry you as you get the dream started. Yes this is going to be the part that requires the extra work, especially if you need funding and cannot get it from the bank or a rich uncle. First you work the extra job till you find the ways to bring an income stream in that does not require you to punch a clock every day.
- Start the dream, start your game, find what it is that you would do for nothing and make a product, or service around it. Make sure that the product or service you do is what you like, not something that gets you what you like. An example is motorcycles. I love to ride them, but if I worked at dealership around them it would mean hours away from home working, and few hours actually riding them. I love to sit at my computer and write these blogs, books, training courses; I love to speak to groups and move them to where they really want to go. So I create the products to make that happen, my joy is in the creation not the end product.
- Once you have that dream going and it is profitable, build an automated process to get you doing less work and spending more time doing just the parts you want. For most online marketers or product creators like myself, once you have a product base, your best skills are creating more and better products so you hire people to do those tasks you don’t want to do.
- Once you have gotten to the point of building a process or group you now have a company that not only builds you an income, but it becomes a game to live it. You now are looking for other ways to create. You want to change and play with the formulas to create a better product or service. That is why you see many companies coming out with new and improved items. Someone had the joy to be in the background making it better, learning from the mistakes, sampling the product.
So you see it takes a process, but once you get there, the playing of the game can be free. For me it was working out a way to turn riding my motorcycle, speaking, writing, coaching, and creating workshops into an income stream so that I now play the game for free. As a matter of fact I get paid to play the game.
Well, have a great weekend. We are headed out to ride motorcycles around Texas next week, so it will be a week of from the road. Until then, I’m Tim Gillette, the Rocker Life Coach. It’s time for you to find the life you always wanted to live, to love what you do and those you share life with. Create your game to play for free and become the RockStar in your world.